4 ECTS credits
100 h study time

Offer 1 with catalog number 8021645INR for all students in the 2nd semester at a (I) Postgraduate - specialised level.

Semester
2nd semester
Enrollment based on exam contract
Impossible
Grading method
Grading (scale from 0 to 20)
Can retake in second session
Yes
Taught in
English
Faculty
Faculty of Social Sciences & SolvayBusinessSchool
Department
Institute for European Studies
Educational team
Luk VAN LANGENHOVE (course titular)
Activities and contact hours
100 contact hours Independent or External Form of Study
Course Content

The course on “European Public Policy Analysis” aims to provide the necessary tools to analyse core EU public policies. It starts with a strong focus on economic integration, covering the EU’s internal market, trade and competition policies. Then the course moves on to analyse policy areas such as climate and energy, justice and home affairs, and the digital single market. Each time a second module accompanies the modules in order to discuss a subset of the policy in further depth. Industrial innovation policy follows the module on climate and energy; asylum and immigration policy comes after the module on justice and home affairs; copyright policy is explored in conjunction with the digital single market. The course ends with case studies on foreign and youth policy, areas in which the EU only has limited competence. Indeed, the course aims to provide insight into a multiplicity of areas and modes of policymaking in the European Union. The tools available to take action differ greatly between competition rules related to the functioning of the internal market, where the EU has exclusive competence, and youth policy, in which the EU is limited to support, coordinate or supplement member state action. Throughout the course, you will monitor and discuss current events related to the topics studied. At the end of the course, you will have a thorough understanding of the most important policies of the EU and be able to critically evaluate their present and future impact on the everyday life of EU citizens.

The course consists of 12 modules, each taught by a researcher at the IES. The course material mainly includes book chapters and articles, and on occasion, videos, infographics and official documents.

The 12 modules are as follows:

  • Module 1: Introduction to Public Policy Analysis
  • Module 2: Internal Market Policy
  • Module 3: Trade Policy
  • Module 4: Competition Policy
  • Module 5: Climate and Energy Policy
  • Module 6: Industrial Innovation Policy
  • Module 7: Justice and Home Affairs Policy
  • Module 8: Asylum and Immigration Policy
  • Module 9: Digital Single Market Policy
  • Module 10: Copyright Policy
  • Module 11: Foreign Policy
  • Module 12: Youth Policy

The duration of the course is 12 weeks.

Additional info

.

Learning Outcomes

General Competencies

After completing this module, students should be able to:

  • thoroughly understand of the most important EU policies;
  • be able to critically evaluate their present and future impact on the everyday life of EU citizens.

Grading

The final grade is composed based on the following categories:
Written Exam determines 40% of the final mark.
Other Exam determines 60% of the final mark.

Within the Written Exam category, the following assignments need to be completed:

  • Written Exam with a relative weight of 1 which comprises 40% of the final mark.

Within the Other Exam category, the following assignments need to be completed:

  • Assignments with a relative weight of 1 which comprises 60% of the final mark.

Additional info regarding evaluation

Each of the 12 modules consists of reading material and an assignment, which will be evaluated by the week’s course instructor and counts for 5% of the final grade (60% in total). Students will be given 12 days to finalise each module. At the end of the semester, they will also need to take a final exam, which accounts for the remaining 40%.

Course Instructions: Each module consists of reading material and an assignment. After successfully accomplishing an assignment, students receive a maximum of 5 points. Two assignments cover two modules. They count for 10 points each. The final exam is worth 40 points. The maximum amount is 100 points (or 100%).

Academic context

This offer is part of the following study plans:
Postgraduate Certificate European Policy Making: Default track