Back to top
The master knows and has insight into
1. the clinical aspects of the main pathologies and the concomitant deviations in molecular, cellular and physiological processes in the human body
2. the working mechanisms of current treatments and principles of drug discovery and development, prevention and diagnosis
The master in Biomedical Research can
3. formulate complex research questions, research the relevant literature as exhaustively as possible and design a research plan, including the selection of methods and techniques for the generation of data, followed by correct interpretation of the data.
4. write a thesis in English to present the results of one’s own scientific research in the format of a peer-reviewed international journal
5. present the obtained results in a scientifically sound manner to a national and international audience using modern means of communication
6. function constructively in an international and intercultural setting
7. collaborate in an interdisciplinary team and bridge the gap between basic biomedical research and clinical practice
The master in Biomedical Research has
8. the capacities to function in an actual research environment and appreciates the existence of various work settings
9. insight into the international character of scientific research
10. insight into the structure of the scientific profession and associated rules and regulations
11. a critical attitude towards his/her own research data and those of others and has the ability to distinguish correct scientific methods from pseudo-science.
12. high ethical and moral standards with respect to human subjects, human material, animal testing and the society as a whole.
13. intercultural competences that are required to function as a word citizen in a globalizing world
14. an attitude of lifelong learning and is capable of self-assessment and application of self-learning strategies.
15. an eye for accurate reporting of research data in a laboratory notebook and the protection of raw data with respect to intellectual property and the reliability and traceability of the work
16. sufficient knowledge and skills to carry out animal experiments according to the ethical guidelines of the Belgium authorities and as such has obtained the legal right to collaborate in animal testing (KB of 13-2004).
17. insight into industrial valorization of research data, including protection of intellectual property, contracts with industry and the founding of spin-offs.
18. obtained sufficient knowledge in statistical processing of data from complex study designs using general and generalized linear models
19. sufficient communication skills in English to be able to write manuscripts for international peer-reviewed journals, to present oral communications at international scientific meetings and to actively participate in discussions.
Back to top
In the context of this programme, the following academic plans are offered:
Back to top